Oakes Quarry Park is a park that is located in Fairborn OH. The park was originally a limestone quarry, and was in operation from the mid-1800s to the early 1900s. The quarry was first opened in the mid-1800s, and it was used to extract limestone for use in construction projects throughout the region. Over the years, the quarry grew to become one of the largest in Ohio (the second largest park in the city), and it employed hundreds of workers.
In 1916, the quarry was purchased by the city of Fairborn, and it was used as a public park. The hiking trails were added in the 1970s, and they have become a popular destination for hikers and nature lovers. The quarry was abandoned for many years, but it was eventually reopened as a park in the 1990s.
Today, the park is a beautiful place to explore the natural beauty of Ohio’s landscape. The hiking trails are well-maintained and provide a great workout, and the quarry walls are a reminder of Fairborn’s industrial past.
The hiking trails in the park offer visitors a chance to explore the park’s rich history. The trails wind their way through the park’s former limestone quarry, providing stunning views of the quarry walls and the surrounding forest.
The park is a great place for a hike, with plenty of trails to choose from. Be sure to remember the following when hiking in the park:
1. Stay on the trails. The park is home to a variety of wildlife, and walking off-trail can disturb or damage their habitats.
2. Be aware of your surroundings. There are cliffs and other hazards in the park, so stay aware of your surroundings and be cautious when hiking.
3. Pack appropriately. Make sure to pack sunscreen, water, snacks, and any other necessary items for a safe and enjoyable hike.
If you’re looking for a place to enjoy nature and see some amazing animals, you can find it in this place. This park is home to a wide variety of animals, including cottontail rabbits, white-tailed deer, red foxes, red-tailed hawks, coyotes, and raccoons.
– Cottontail rabbits are brown with a white underside and a short tail. They are typically about 12 inches long and weigh about 2 pounds.
– White-tailed deer are brown to buff in color and have a white underside. They have a reddish-brown tail which is tipped in black. Adult deer can be up to 4 feet tall at the shoulder and weigh up to 250 pounds.
– Red foxes are reddish brown in color with a white underside. They have a bushy tail which is typically black on the tips. Foxes are typically about 24 inches long and weigh between 6 and 8 pounds.
– Red-tailed hawks are brown with barred wings. They have a reddish-brown tail with a black band near the end. Juvenile hawks are lighter in color than adults. Hawks can be up to 3 feet tall and have a wingspan of up to 6 feet.
– Coyotes are typically light gray or yellowish brown in color. They have a slender muzzle, black ears, and a long bushy tail. Coyotes weigh between 20 and 50 pounds.
– Raccoons are typically black with a gray to light brown belly. Raccoons have five toes on each foot which are webbed for swimming. They also have a mask around their eyes which gives them their characteristic “bandit” face. Raccoons weigh between 10 and 25 pounds.
You’ll be able to see these animals in their natural habitats, and it’s a great opportunity to learn more about them. However, it is important to remember that these animals are wild and should not be approached. If you encounter any of these animals while hiking, give them a wide berth and do not attempt to touch or feed them.
Furthermore, the park is a great place for horseback riding enthusiasts. It has a number of well-maintained horseback trails that wind through the beautiful forested areas and offer riders a chance to experience nature up close. The trails are also well-suited for novice riders, so don’t be afraid to give horseback riding a try if you’ve tried it before.
The fishing area in the park is a great place to catch bass, catfish, and panfish. It has a variety of fishing opportunities, especially for beginners. And the good thing about this is you are allowed to fish even if you don’t have a license.
Whether you’re looking for a place to fish, hike, or horseback, Oakes Quarry Park in Fairborn OH is a great option. The park offers a unique experience for everyone, and it’s a great way to spend a day in the outdoors. Visit the next park here.